Saturday, November 07, 2009

artsy fartsy

today has been kind of blah. so, in an act of desperation to make my day feel somewhat accomplished, i have come up with some words about the love of my life that is art...

I love art. Here are some things I love about it. I love art that makes you feel something. i love emotion. that makes you pause at the beauty. that makes you question everything you've ever known. i love drapery. the folds. the movement. the contrasting light and dark. i love color. bold color. beautiful combinations that make art worth looking at.


my hands-down favorite work of art. Nike of Samothrace.
whenever i feel like my life is crashing down, I like to look at this. she has just flown down and barely landed onto a ship. she looks so victorious. like, she can do anything. she is that powerful and confident. i love the drapery. like it's fighting against the forces of the wind. the forces of the world are upon her and she has no hesitation in taking it on.





I think this work is precious. it's not necessarily one of my favorites, but i definitely like it. it's Joseph and child by Guido Reni (one of my faves for sure). before this time, Joseph was rarely shown as being apart of Christ's life. but this painting. it's such an intimate relationship between Joseph and his son. He looks so entranced by Christ - like a father with his newborn baby. and Christ's response is playful and just, cute. i love seeing such cute relationships between fathers and their children.





I randomly found this on the internet a long time ago. Konstantin Flavitsky's Princess Tarakanova. There was a legend that she got locked in a room which then got flooded. she had no way out. she must accept her fate, whether she wants it or not. she has a look of such dispare. like life has given her the impossible and she feels utterly alone and helpless. i think we all feel like this sometimes. i know i do.

0 comments: