Tuesday, November 02, 2010

paintings i'd like to own someday...part 1?

I'm constantly seeing paintings that I fall in love with. But most of them aren't necessarily "hang in your house someday" paintings, they're more like, "stay in the church and come visit often" paintings. So leaving out some that I really love, here's a few that I would pretty much die to see in my house someday. You know, if the museums just decided to let me have them...


Rembrandt's The Jewish Bride
the impasto on this painting is incredible. 
it's what makes it a painting in every sense of the word. 
nothing can compare to seeing this painting in person. seriously. nothing.


Rembrandt's Supper at Emmaus 1629


Caravaggio's Fruit Basket



Vermeer's View of Delft
i also have to say that nothing can compare to seeing this in person. 
it has a luminosity that no one can describe.
it's literally like the painting is lighting up the whole room.

What do all of you decorate your houses with? Art? Pictures? Paint? If my house could be like a 19th century Salon, that would be really cool.
 

1 comments:

Unknown said...

That man looks like he's caressing the Jewish Bride's bosom. Ew.