Wednesday, January 18, 2012

just when you think...

...that your thesis has made great progress, your advisor brings you back to reality.

This past week has been really rough, I'm not going to lie. After working on my thesis all last semester, I really thought that things were going well. Sure there were a lot of changes to make, but overall I felt pretty proud of myself. Until Thursday. I met with my advisor, who kindly told me that I had to rewrite everything. Yep, everything. And in only a few weeks if I had even a smidgen of a chance to graduate in April. Somehow I didn't have a complete meltdown in her office. I felt like what needed to be done was just impossible (and I think I still do). But, I wasn't going to just give up after all this time. So I sucked up all my anger/fear/sadness and began rewriting. And it has been really hard. and slow. I sent some progress to my advisor, again feeling proud of what I'd done. Total letdown - still not good enough. If you're thinking now is the time a meltdown happened, well you'd be right. I saved it all for Jantz Saturday night. And even though I'd been keeping it all in for days, and I wasn't acting normal, and even though it was well past 1:00 a.m., he talked me through it. He let me cry and complain, and then gave me some advice. And it was really helpful advice, not just the usual "you can do it" that everyone else offers. It was like he knew what I needed to hear beyond the fluffy stuff. And even though now that I've been working really hard and still feel like I'm going nowhere fast, I don't feel as hopeless, because I know it has to be done, and Jantz isn't going to let me give up (even if I want to - and trust me, I've begged).

The next few weeks (heck the next few months) are probably going to be the hardest I've experienced yet. But I can do it....right? Wish me lots of luck as I attempt the impossible task of completing my thesis :)

0 comments: