Monday, April 18, 2011

life is good




Brancusi, The Kiss, 1916
in one of my art history classes a few years ago 
my teacher put this up as his first slide. 
i didn't think of it much then, but it has grown on me. 
he used it as a way to explain the intimacy of life - and of art. 
you don't usually kiss someone with your eyes open. 
it's too special to do with just anyone. 
because being that close, it's like they're looking into your soul. 
sometimes i feel like getting up close to a work of art 
is like being able to see into its soul - and vice versa. 
that's why art is so special, 
because it can reach into your soul and make you feel something.


I don't really have much to say, but I wanted to blog anyway. I like having a photo of some sort for every post, and since i'm terrible at taking pictures, i think i'll post art instead :)

I'm [ ] this close to finishing my big paper that I have to give a presentation on tomorrow. I'm so excited to be finished (not because I hated writing it, but because I liked writing it) I'm having a hard time focusing enough to proof-read and prepare a PowerPoint. Thus, blogging.

I made Jantz a sandwich when I got home from work and then brought it over to his work so we could eat dinner together. and because he never brings dinner food with him to work, so he eats a granola bar or mcdonalds. not acceptable in my book. He showed me around where he works and all the little rooms he does stuff in. it was cute. My dad used to work in that same building so it was weird walking around without him haha. I'm so proud of Jantz and all the hard work he does. He works crappy hours and his job stresses him out sometimes. But he sticks with it. I know how miserable it can be to work full time at a job you don't care for (as I'm sure we all do). At least it won't be that way forever :) he's such a trooper.

I've been so grateful this past week for all the things I have. As I've mentioned before, sometimes I get real stressed about money. But you know, it always works out. no matter what. I keep waiting for a time when it doesn't and I'm stuck with no money and no help. But so far, it just keeps working out. I found out I got some scholarship money to help me this next year in school, which was a total surprise. then tax filing came around and my gracious mother is letting me get some of the money I would have gotten if she hadn't claimed me (what a saint, let me tell you). and then today I found out about a raise at work that will help out big time (who knew having a degree would be so beneficial?). I'm definitely not rolling in money (not by a long shot), but at least now I can save more money, start paying off loans and stop worrying so much about paying for school. I'm just really grateful that, even when other parts of life aren't perfect (because, when are they ever??), there is something that I can feel sure about.

ok so not such a short blog haha. but.....life is good. things are good. i'm happy :) even more so because the semester is almost over!

1 comments:

Becca said...

that's what life is all about, Al. when you think it won't work out, as long as you are doing what you should and have faith, you'll be blessed more than you can imagine. so just know that no matter what crappy crazy things are going on, focus on the most important things, and everything else will fall into place. that's just how it works. and man, am I glad it does!

I like The Kiss. I really do.