Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Bloch

Carl Bloch, The Daughter of Jairus, 1863




In case any of you live in Utah and love art, the BYU Museum of Art has an amazing exhibition going called Carl Bloch: The Master's Hand. And when I say amazing, that doesn't even begin to describe it. They were able to get some really great altar paintings from Denmark and Sweden. In case you don't know who this Carl Bloch character is, he lived during the 19th century in Denmark and painted many religious pieces as well as some secular ones (which I really love). You might think you've never seen his works, but you'll be surprised :) Here's the museum's site, but other great places to see some of his work are here, or here, or here, or here (this one is my favorite because you get to see the works in their actual locations and it's all 3D!).

It's been going since November and it ends on May 7th (you have to have a free ticket, but I heard they were all out and now you can go on stand by). I just couldn't not say anything, because I loved it. And, as I've said before, there is just nothing like seeing paintings in real life. You can just go and sit in front of the altarpieces or get up close and see the beautiful brushstrokes.

1 comments:

maremee said...

I loved this exhibition. Amazing. You also picked my favorite painting for this post. :) Miss you!