Monday, April 11, 2011

thinking about art





I've been thinking about art lately (surprise surprise) and about the amazing effects it can have on a persons life. Which got me thinking about art that has really left a mark on me. There have been quite a few, maybe more than I can think of. But one place for sure completely changed my life. Not in a "i changed the way i do things now" kind of change; more of a "the feelings i felt there left me in an awe that i will never forget" kind of change. Seeing art like that is something you will never forget. It changes you somehow.

The place is the Galleria Borghese. There are several Bernini statues in there, and I promise that you will never look at his works the same after you've seen them in person. There is literally no comparison between a photograph and real life (kind of like hearing about going on a rollercoaster and then actually riding one. i kid not.).  

Apollo and Daphne is set in a little room where light shines through onto the statue, and it literally glows. The light shines through the leaves. And the textures. they are incredible. the smooth skin against the rough wood and the leaves. And then theirs the drama. the drama itself makes it breathtaking. We sat in that room for so long, just looking at it. I think about that day a lot. I don't think I could make it through life without art. it's one of those loves of your life that will never leave you and that makes life that much more worth living. 




If you ever get the chance to make it to Rome, don't miss this place. I can't wait to go back.


just for fun here's three of us waiting to go inside

2 comments:

perpetual.genesis said...

I agree with everything you said! Art is so beautiful, if anything can speak to our hearts without words it is art. It has the ability to make you feel emotion, if I ever go to Rome I will be sure to visit this place :)

Becca said...

i think I would feel the same as you had I experienced it like you have. I love learning about art and architecture etc. I loved my art history class so much. And I have always had a dream of going to these places and seeing them in reality. however, that dream is not one that can come true for awhile. probably in 30 years. :o) And I can't wait! haha. I ove your passion for art. it's awesome, and even those photos are awesome, I can't imagine what it would be like in person. perhaps something like a rollercoaster... ;o)