Sunday, September 13, 2009

Life in Progress

So, I'm sure you've all heard me complain about how I don't want to go to grad school, and especially about not wanting to get a Ph.D. But, I'm trying to be more positive about it. Because I've decided, you know what? why not. I'm not married, I don't have kids. Why not just go for it? All the way. If that stuff happens to be an issue, then great, I'll take it as it comes. But for now, I really have nothing to lose.

My biggest complaint about a Ph.D. is that I don't want to be in another state at some school for like, years and years. But really, even though it will be so sad to be away from family and friends and the life I've grown accustomed to, there really isn't a solid, major reason for me not to pursue such a degree. And really, it will be good for me to be out "on my own". And if I really do go for it, then it should be somewhere good. Not just a place that's "close to family" or "close to friends". It should be a place that will actually give me a good education - you know, that could actually get me somewhere, if necessary.

I just kind of hate making these plans because really, it makes it permanent. And permanence scares me. Because I don't want to leave here. I want to leave Provo. But not my family. And not my friends. That scares me the most. Being all alone. Who am I going to hang out with? Who's going to make me laugh after a hard day? Who's going to give me a hug just because they love me? It makes me teary-eyed just thinking about it.

I also hate it because it seems like I'm going to somehow lose the chance to get married. I know that sounds totally irrational. And it is. But it's still there. In my mind. Everyday. You're choosing to go to school so you can work, which means you're not going to get married for a long time. I hate that I think like that, but I just can't get that thought to go away. Especially because I don't see another option. I can't not go to grad school, because a bachelors degree in Art History equals crap.

So, it's my destiny I suppose. The plan I've created for myself without even knowing it. It just scares me. The unknown. The possibilities. I've only looked at the pessimistic ones. So many good things could happen I know, but I'm not breaching those quite yet. I still need some time to relish in my fear. Then I'll share all the good things that could happen :)

Here's four schools that I've kind of looked at. I think I like Northwestern....

http://graduate-school.phds.org/rankings/art-history/compare-programs?p1=20817&p2=21403&p3=19698&p4=23253&p5=19779&p6=20098

On another note, I played Rock Band with my family for a few hours today. and had my favorite meal. and ate delicious pie and cake. and heard my adorable niece say "Ali" lots of times. And it brought me to two conclusions: 1-I love Rock Band, and 2-I LOVE my family

2 comments:

Derek said...

Wow. You are focused on the negatives. Time to make a list of positives.

I call that is your next blog post. Also... I like Northwestern. I've known two people who have gone there, and they both liked it, if I can remember.

It's another big ten school, another Wisconsin rival. Really Ali? This is crap ;-)

Unknown said...

I think UC Berkeley sounds good. Close. Cheap. Sunny. I'm just sayin. I think it's great you're sucking it up and making these big, scary plans. You'll do great!